10 reasons to go for a walk!
A brisk 30 minute walk most days of the week will:
- Strengthen your heart, increase your cardiovascular fitness and keep your blood pressure in check
- Reduce your risk of getting disease, such as heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and even some cancers
- Keep your cholesterol in check – walking lowers your levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases your levels of HDL (good) cholesterol
- Keep your weight in check by reducing excess body fat, boosting your muscle power and speeding up your metabolism so that you can burn more calories
- Reduce your risk of dementia by up to 40%
- Help to prevent osteoporosis by strengthening your bones and increasing their density
- Keep you toned
- Boost your vitamin D level which plays a big role in everything from bone health to immunity
- Give you energy
- Make you happy by releasing feel-good endorphins into your bloodstream, reducing stress and anxiety. And walking is a great social activity too.