Welcome everyone to another edition of the Doctor’s Note where we talk about what’s on our minds when it comes to your health. In this week’s podcast, I talked about a supplement that I love and take myself called HMB (Hydroxymethylbutyrate).
I’m always talking about building muscle as you age. I’m 68 years old and the main concern I (and most of my patients) have is to stay healthy. This means NOT falling. This means PREVENTATIVE medicine. We want to build muscle, which burns fat. We want to stay lean and stay strong.
Below are my Notes from this week’s podcast on HMB.
- HMB (Hydroxymethylbutyrate) is not to be confused with another supplement BHB (Beta Hydroxybutyrate). Most people when they say “butyrate”, they’re talking about beta hydroxybutyrate. This is what you see in exogenous ketones and is more associated with weight loss. It is another good supplement that I will talk about in a later podcast.
- HMB is a supplement that builds muscle, but it’s also used for other purposes.
- HMB is a chemical that is produced in our bodies through certain foods that we eat and results from the breakdown of Leucine (an essential amino acid that’s responsible for muscle growth). Most people need a supplement because they are getting older and losing muscle.
- It’s purported that people taking HMB have more muscle growth, but more importantly decreased muscle loss. This is the key! (3:10)
- HMB works better for building muscle in untrained individuals and older people (probably because of the prevention of muscle breakdown).
- HMB works by suppressing certain genes and enzymes that promote muscle protein breakdown.
- I’ve always thought that maintaining muscle as you age is the key to keeping you healthy and vibrant. Increased muscle increases your energy levels, and decreases frailty and mental decline.
- Studies have shown that HMB increases grip strength and knee muscularity (knee extension)
- I’ve always associated HMB with fat loss. In a 2003 study, published in Nutrients, HMB along with Vitamin D supplements, was shown to support reductions in fat loss. I believe you should be taking Vitamin D w/ K over any other supplement. When you combine HMB with Vitamin D w/ K it works like a fat burner. (7:20)
- Don’t think of HMB as a weight loss supplement, think of it as a muscle building supplement.
- As you age you lose muscle fast. It’s not something that creeps up on you. You constantly have to be moving and working on your muscles. We lose muscle as we age. This is one of the main reasons you want to do bioidentical hormones (8:38).
- HMB with creatine is a great combination! (9:10)
- Dosing: Anywhere from 1.5 to 3 grams daily. It’s very safe, even for long term use. Minimal side effects. Stay hydrated and take it with food. You can take it at any time, but I like to take it before a workout.
As always, do your own research.
Stay educated. Stay healthy.