Welcome everyone to another edition of the Doctor’s Note where we talk about what’s on our minds when it comes to your health.
This week’s podcast was on the supplement butyrate (Beta HydroxyButyrate). It’s important to note that butyrate is different from hydroxymethylbutyrate (HMB) that I talked about on a previous podcast. HMB is more for muscle building and preventing muscle loss. Butyrate is mainly for the gut, and boosting weight loss.
Your gut bacteria make butyrate from the food you can’t digest. As a result, your body benefits. Butyrate helps to plug a leaky gut, fight obesity and diabetes, protect the brain, fuel gut cells, prevent gut inflammation, harness the power of antioxidants, and more…
- Butyrate is a short chain fatty acid that’s crucial for GUT REPAIR. It’s probably one of the most important substances in your body. Remember, everything starts in the gut!
- Everyone needs prebiotics and probiotics. Prebiotics are food for probiotics. You can get prebiotics and probiotics from food, but most people take supplements. Some people call butyrate a “post” biotic. It acts almost like a repairman to tighten up those loose junctions in the lining of your gut (i.e., leaky gut).
- Butyrate is the preferred fuel for your brain and mitochondria. It’s an exogenous ketone that your body produces when fasting or on a ketogenic diet.
- Exogenous ketones are helpful because they put you in a state of ketosis without having to get on a very strict low carb diet. This is why supplementing with butyrate can help with weight loss. Ketosis can help with weight loss, improving cognition, decreasing seizures, and increasing energy by burning fats.
- There are two kinds of exogenous ketones: ketone salts and ketone esters. Ketone esters are more potent. Most people prefer ketone salts.
- Butyrate is a ketone salt (Sodium Magnesium Butyrate). Some people are sensitive to salt. Watch your blood pressure if you have hypertension. I rarely hear complaints about nausea.
- Combining butyrate with MCT Oil can improve the ability to prolong ketosis, and possibly make it more tolerable to the stomach.
- There are different forms of butyrate. Perfect Keto is a combination supplement with butyrate in it. BodyBio makes a pure sodium butyrate, which is more for healing the gut. It also helps with gas, burping, and bloating.
- A high fiber diet can boost butyrate production because it encourages the butyrate-producing bacteria in the colon to thrive.
- Butyrate is needed for your overall gut health, as well as helping to make energy for some of your gut cells. The best way to supercharge your gut microbiome to produce butyrate is to eat a high-fiber diet, one rich in plant-based foods. If your gut is upset, you might want to consider supplementing with butyrate.
Stay educated. Stay healthy.
Till next week.